City of Wharton, Texas
The City of Wharton is the county seat of Wharton County and is located about 60 miles southwest of Houston just south of US 59. Business US 59, also called Richmond Road, still runs through Wharton a few blocks from the historic courthouse square.
The Colorado River flows past Wharton’s Riverfront Park, which is only a block from Downtown Wharton and Monterey Square. During the summer, there’s usually a nice breeze across the River. Riverfront Park is a great place to enjoy the beauty of the River and there are picnic tables and grills for a picnic. There’s plenty of free parking. Unfortunately, there’s no easy river access because of the steep banks on the Wharton side in this section of the Colorado River.
Wharton’s historic 1889 courthouse was restored in a project that started with a groundbreaking ceremony in March, 2003, and was completed in 2007. The courthouse building had been extensively remodeled in the 1930s and 1940s to add space; however, the look of the building was substantially changed during these modifications. The courthouse restoration project returned the building to it’s 1889 appearance. The Wharton Courthouse and its adjacent grass lawn is a fantastic location to enjoy the fireworks during the annual Wharton County Freedom Festival, the weekend before the Fourth of July.
If you’re visiting the City of Wharton, you should stop by the Milam Street Coffee Shop at the corner of Milam and Houston for a coffee, an ice cream cone, or a smoothie. It’s a great place to enjoy the Courthouse Square in comfort. The Wharton Post Office on Milam Street, one block southeast of the Square and Wharton City Hall is located a block off Milam Street behind NewFirst Bank.
The following information is from Wikipedia:
The area now known as Wharton was part of the Caney Run mail route established by the Republic of Texas in 1838. The community was named after two leaders in the struggle for Texas independence, brothers John and William Wharton. The plantation community was first settled in 1846 by some of Stephen F. Austin‘s original colonists, and a post office was established in 1847. The first lieutenant governor of Texas, Albert Horton, was an early settler. Land for the courthouse square was donated by William Kincheloe and surveyed by Virgil Stewart and William J. E. Heard. Early settlers came from Alabama, Kentucky, Virginia, Georgia, and Mississippi.
Jewish immigrants, arriving as early as the 1850s, established additional businesses and began the Congregation Shearith Israel (Texas), the only synagogue in a three-county area. Other settlers in the community included Swiss, German, Mexican, and Czech immigrants and the descendants of plantation slaves.
Early crops included potatoes, cotton, corn, rice, and sugar cane, and commercial enterprises included cattle, molasses, and sugar. At different times the community had a cotton oil mill, a sugar cane factory, gristmills, cotton gins, a milk processing plant and dairy, an ice plant, and numerous other industries. Oil and sulfur production in the outlying areas contribute to the town’s economy. The population of Wharton was about 200 in the early 1880s.
The New York, Texas and Mexican Railway was the first railroad to arrive at Wharton in 1881, followed by the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe in 1899. These two railroads brought a new influx of settlers, increasing the population to 1,689 in 1900 and 2,346 in 1920. In 1888 the first opera house opened.
Wharton was incorporated in 1902, when most of the structures were of wood construction. A major fire on December 30 of that year destroyed a number of frame business buildings. Afterwards, businessmen and the city government were convinced to use brick construction with fire walls for all buildings within the city limits and to construct a water system with fire hydrants. A free library was established in 1902 by the New Century Club and adopted by the city in 1904. In 1935 the majority of the library inventory was given to the Wharton Public School. The first public park was dedicated in 1913, and the Wharton Chamber of Commerce organized in 1919.
The city experienced its greatest growth during the 1930s, increasing from 2,261 in 1930 to 4,386 in 1940. Wharton Little Theatre was organized in 1932, and Wharton County Junior College was established in 1946. The town’s population reached 5,734 in 1960 and 7,881 in 1970. A community concert series was developed in the 1960s. By the 1980s Wharton had such diverse industries as Health-focus, the largest physical rehabilitation and therapy service in the nation; M. I. Drilling Fluids, a subsidiary of Magcobar Division of Dresser Industries; the Formosa Plastics Group, consisting of Nan Ya Plastics and J-M Manufacturing; Coastal Warehouse Limited, serving the agricultural industry; and Gulf Coast Medical Center and South Texas Medical clinics. The economy was also heavily dependent on the presence of the county government.
In the 1980s Academy Award–winning screenwriter Horton Foote, a descendant of Lieutenant Governor Horton, lived in Wharton. The Wharton County Historical Museum features exhibits on Dan Rather and Medal of Honor winner Roy Benavidez as well as a wildlife collection. The Wharton population is stable: 9,033 in 1980, 9,011 in 1990, and 9,237 in 2000.